Reflection

The first semester of the English course in twelfth grade offered me the opportunity to create and work on my own blog that presents my best writing pieces and photos. I was enthusiastic about the assignment. I had the opportunity to write on different topics, some set up by the teacher, others created on my own. I found out more about my style in both analytical and creative writing. I understood my mistakes, and now I hope I have improved. Also I had the chance to meet with a junior in Kentucky and edit each other’s pieces. However, this was a really hard task since they were not as active as we were. Probably that was the only flow of the project, but I feel really proud of my work that I have created with enthusiasm. However, it was not just the writing and the duty… Now that I have completed the project, I can see what kind of person I really am. Every writing assignment or picture posted here shows a piece of me: a hobby, a belief that I have, something about my past, a precious memory… That is why I will not stop posting my writing and my pictures on the blog because it is like a folder, or a photo album that presents who I am. That is why I would show it to my new friends in order to get to know me better, and I will share it with my old friends so that they can recall the wonderful moments we have spent together. Just as my life goes on, my blog will compile my writing samples and pictures in order to learn from my mistakes and remember what I have lived through. Show must go on…

Sunday, January 24, 2010

"We'll Always have Paris" by Ray Bradbury


“We’ll Always Have Paris” is a collection of stories by Ray Bradbury written in 2008. In the introduction to the book the author writes that the stories are inspired by ideas that he loved and wanted the readers also to love them. The characters of the stories are different and present unique characteristics just as the diversity of the citizens in Paris. They are like pieces of puzzle that construct the world.
One of the stories reveals a common problem of the young people. The plot presents a boy and a girl that have just gone too far in their relationship and are afraid of ruining their friendship. However, their special connection can hardly be ruined: a fact revealed in the end of the story with the description of their holding hands.
There is also a story about an old couple that had spent their entire life in their house. Suddenly they both go outside and take a breath of living, however, when they go back home their daily routine is reestablished. The idea of the story is to present the sadness of the end of life. However it seems to be easier to accept when shared with another person.
There were also stories dedicated to ordinary people, those unable to stand for themselves. One of them showed how a person was tortured by another man throwing apples at him, after the death of the latter; the first one did the same to his grave. This showed how effective the rude words and actions could be to one’s life. Another story reveals the life of a homosexual couple where one of the boys was rude and did not respect the other. Despite given a chance to escape with another man who offered his help, the main character refused because of the pain he would cause to his beloved. Both stories showed how society can press those people unable to stand for themselves, so one should be strong and should not succumb to others.
There is a story named “Pater Caninus” that tells about a dog that gives hope to ill people in a hospital. Even the priests believed in the magical influence the dog had over the people. They really felt relief and hope for the future. This optimistic story shows how people and even animals can help each other just by a single act or gesture that shows understanding and love.
All the stories have unique plot and present different parts of life. They reveal how people’s relationships can help or ruin human life. That is why it is important to find the people that can help you live well in the diverse world and can help you overcome obstacles that can meet you at any corner. “We’ll Always have Paris” shows that the world will always be diverse, right now there are noble and evil people, but joining the better side and helping reduce the other will make the planet a better place where some day good will prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment