Reflection

The first semester of the English course in twelfth grade offered me the opportunity to create and work on my own blog that presents my best writing pieces and photos. I was enthusiastic about the assignment. I had the opportunity to write on different topics, some set up by the teacher, others created on my own. I found out more about my style in both analytical and creative writing. I understood my mistakes, and now I hope I have improved. Also I had the chance to meet with a junior in Kentucky and edit each other’s pieces. However, this was a really hard task since they were not as active as we were. Probably that was the only flow of the project, but I feel really proud of my work that I have created with enthusiasm. However, it was not just the writing and the duty… Now that I have completed the project, I can see what kind of person I really am. Every writing assignment or picture posted here shows a piece of me: a hobby, a belief that I have, something about my past, a precious memory… That is why I will not stop posting my writing and my pictures on the blog because it is like a folder, or a photo album that presents who I am. That is why I would show it to my new friends in order to get to know me better, and I will share it with my old friends so that they can recall the wonderful moments we have spent together. Just as my life goes on, my blog will compile my writing samples and pictures in order to learn from my mistakes and remember what I have lived through. Show must go on…

Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Unforgettable Thanksgiving Holiday

Aleko Konstantinov, a great Bulgarian author has said “You should get to know your country in order to love it.” My family and I spent the thanksgiving holiday traveling to the south-western part of our country, Bulgaria. We visited amazing places and shared emotional moments during a trip I will never forget.
Our first stop was in Blagoevgrad, one of the largest towns in the region. It is home of two universities, so while walking around we saw many youths going to school. The town had a beautiful walking zone with many squares with beautiful statues of important historical people. The old town was composed of many houses built during 18-19th century, and we really enjoyed walking around its stony streets. After the morning walk in Blagoevgrad, my parents and I continued driving along Struma river to our next stop.
After a narrow turn the Rupite valley appeared in front of us. This is a sacred place in our country known for the house where Vanga predicted the future and gave hope to those who needed it. The special aura of that place is explained due to the fact that the only sleeping volcano in Bulgaria, Kojuh, is right next to the valley. Now there are a temple, a beautiful park with a spring of 75°C mineral water, and a museum of Vanga. Leaving this paradise we continued our way along the river in order to reach our next place.
There it is: one of the most important places in our history, the Samuil Fortress. There in 1014 Byzantium defeated the Bulgarian army blinding 130 000 soldiers leaving for every hundred one with one eye to lead them. The Bulgarian king, Samuil, died after seeing this tragic scene. On a beautiful hill right next to the Struma river there are four columns connected with a ring showing the exact place of the fortress and a statue of Samuil. We climbed on the ring and saw the beautiful scenery around us and the hill where the south and west boundaries of the country intersect. Then we had a walk along the river passing around trees resembling interesting forms.
Afterwards we went to Sandanski where we spent the night. The following morning we traveled to Melnik, the smallest town in Bulgaria. While driving on the road to Melnik we saw the famous natural sight Melnik’s pyramids: strange but beautiful sandy mountains. Seeing them we asked ourselves how nature can create such strange forms. In the town we visited the Kordopulov house, home of one of the richest Bulgarians in the 18th century. This building combines Bulgarian, western and oriental styles of architecture. Beneath the house there was a basement where wine is preserved. Then we visited Glojene monastery, located on a hill near Melnik. We spent the afternoon walking in Sandanski’s centre.
My family and I spent a wonderful weekend together. Now I realize how unforgettable unexpected trips can be and that beauty and magnificence are in an hour or two-drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment